Monday 6 October 2008

The greatest gift

The 'Ber' months have now arrived once more. Aside from the expected brrrr! cold weather, the month of good tidings and cheers, DECEMBER that is, is fast approaching. Yesterday, i was just strolling along Camden high street and went inside the Woolworths shop to look for a belated gift for my pastor's youngest daughter, Melbelle Rose when i heard something that made me smile. 'Chestnuts roasting on a open fire....' Ahhhh.. The warm fuzzy feeling.. Christmas, it's just around the corner.

While pondering the thought of the most awaited year end celebration, I remembered a song I wrote three years ago. It was November 2005 when it only took me an hour to finish two verses and a chorus of a song that I'd say is the best one i've ever written, I mean, the one God inspired me to write and sing about. It's called the THE GREATEST GIFT.. I know, so much and so many have already been written about Christmas that I would never compete or even claim to have composed a classic. For me, it just speaks so true of my heart, I'm just privileged to have been used for His purpose.

And just this week, while I was working, I was suddenly inspired to write a bridge for the song. It's taken me more than two years to make the addition but it was worth the wait. I was quite emotional when the words to the bridge were beginning to form. By the time i was singing the complete song, I was crying.

I give all the glory to God! For He alone deserves it. May it bless you just as it has blessed me!

THE GREATEST GIFT


Verse 1
A gift could bring a smile to someone's face
It brings surprise and warms the heart with joy
But once it's been unwrapped and been revealed
The moment's passed yet our lives go unchanged

Refrain
But/ So think about the One who gave away
The greatest gift someone could ever give to anyone
He had but one Son that He so loved
Yet chose to give Him up
So we could live and be redeemed
Back to Him

Chorus:
And so it came upon
A night like no other
Where a baby's to be born
On a lowly manger
To fulfill a destined promise
That's to redeem all of men
He was to be the perfect sacrifice
He is the greatest gift

Verse 2
What could drive a God so great and pure
To give so dear a person as His Son
For such a piece of nothing as a sinful man
It's because of love, it's because of love

(Repeat Refrain and Chorus)

Bridge:
Who am I?
That You promised to offer
The gift of life
That could last forever
It's so hard to believe
How much love You have shown me
On the cross where You suffered and died
Just to save me
There's nothing much I can give
This gift o Lord,
I receive

No comments: