Sunday 17 June 2007

Guitar lessons, snakes & ladders & pasta bake - This is my week so far

I know it's quite a long title but it sums up what has occupied my week.

Well, aside from my regular weekly activities, these are my highlights for this week.

I thought i'd have some spare time last tuesday in the afternoon to do some shopping for stuff that i'd send home to the Philippines (cause my sister will be going home for a month this coming July) but then i had to cancel that when i received a call from Connie.

It appears her employers are looking for someone to teach their daughters some guitar lessons to fill up the kids' weekly schedule. And Tuesday being only their free time, she asked me if i'd be free to come and have guitar sessions with them.

Well of course who wouldn't say yes. Music is my passion and guitar has been my first instrument. So, postponing some shopping which is a girl's-favourite-past-time (sometimes) is not a bad choice.

So i quickly went to a music shop and bought a beginner's guide and bought a notebook where they can write their notes on then went to the place (which is a blessing as it is very close to my morning job).

I didn't quite know what to expect. Connie highly recommended me to her employers and I wasn't sure i'd live up to their expectations. it's not as if i'm a pro at this, you know. yes, i've learned to play the guitar when i was 12 but i haven't professionally gone to a school or something. For me, i play music by ear.

Well anyway, i went and everything turned out fine. The kids had a blast and they enjoyed the very first song we tried to learn which is 'somewhere over the rainbow' (inspired from the song that this 6 year old girl named Connie (again) sang in Britain's Got talent TV show - she's sooooo cute!)

So now I guess, my week's full now. My Tuesday afternoon's taken but i couldn't have hoped for a better way to spend it.
-------------
From there, i had to spend the night at pastor's place. Cause the day after, Wednesday, we'll be going for a mission trip to Devon and back on the same day. What used to be a 5-6 hour drive turned out to be 3 1/2-4 hours because of less traffic and pit stops. Our drive was smooth sailing and along the road, we played snakes and ladders where the winner has the right to sleep. We didn't have that much sleep the night before and slept really late that night waiting for Shawnee who will be coming from Walthamstow. Now i'm not saying we're not allowed to sleep or anything like that. We have the choice but it's up to you. We have this term in Ilokano which is 'makirikna' meaning being considerate of others. Pastor Melchor is also our driver and we know he lacked sleep and is tired from previous dates and appointments. Which is why the last thing he'll be needing is to see or hear someone snoring or relaxing in the car. So, what's ideal would be for one person to sleep at the back end while the others have to keep the driver awake. (-: LOL!






Well it turned out no one slept anyway. We're just too considerate and caring people you know? (clap clap! he he!) And besides we enjoyed each other's company (there were 4 of us who went with pastor, my 1st cousin april & her boyfriend paul, my 2nd or 3rd cousin-shawnee & there's me). Being related in a way has its advantages. I'm just glad i get to do this mission trips with family. Praise God!

Oh and before i forget, we had a funny experience when we reached the place. Well we had lunch and we were preparing to start the bible study when Martha thought she'd drop by the bank first which was just 5 minutes away. So, off she goes down. Funny thing however was, when she tried to open the first door of the house, she couldn't. It turned out it can only be opened from the outside. Their new housemate unknowingly double locked the door on her way out to work. WE WERE TRAPPED! So, there we were, looking for ways to open the door. Then the guys thought they had an idea (really?). Yes, they thought they could do a superman act and jump from the window (i'm not kidding). 'It's not that high' said kuya Lawrence, who tried it first. So then he went out from the window and stood on the ledge. However, that's as far as he went. Then Pastor had a go at it as well. He even practised jumping up and down before going out from the window and standing on the ledge. We were, like, asking him not to, you know? I mean, come on, he'll be driving afterwards, what if something happens to him? (you're probably saying, hey where's the faith, man? i know. i know. however, we're just looking after pastor, you know.. he he!). Well anyway, he didn't jump. We were all relieved. Then again, they thought they could do a pole act. You know, grab a pole, then someone will hold on to one end and hang on to it while slowly going down and the other person will hold the other end from the window. Well, I thought that was scarier than the first suggestion.

But thank God! someone came around. Maybe, God was laughing so hard while looking at us, He finally decided to send some help. (-:

I'm telling you, it was so funny. It may not be so back at that time but now that i look back at it, man, was it hilarious. And what was us girls doing, you may ask? Uhmmn, we were on the other window looking out getting ready to scream for help in case someone passes by. Well,.... we were ... just ... being girls, you know. (-:
------------

FATHER'S DAY - JUNE 17, 2007

This is a special day.... And i knew i had to do something again for our Father's Day special. Since a year or so ago, we've been organising surpises for special occassions. As much as we can manage, we tried to make every event special. And not only has it brought us closer together, it made us more of a family towards one another. However this Sunday i didn't have that many help. Each one had some place they had to go to and something they have to do.

Which is why i was probably at my busiest this day. I woke up 6 in the morning, created and edited the video special (which you can see on my youtube account) for 4 hours. Then proceeded to Tesco to buy the groceries for our dinner in church afterwards. I bought ingredients for pasta bake (the only recipe i'm really good at), chicken wings and green salad. Went home, prepared and cooked them all (thanks to Sherill who was around to help me out to prepare the chicken wings). Then i managed to take a shower. Prepare the instruments and used our mini 4WD (Baby Georiel's push chair) to transport some of the instruments to church (which is a short distance away from our house, praise God! for that).

Then i managed to play the piano and worship in my private time. My song at the moment is Dwelling places, it just makes me wanna cry out all my love to God. Shawnee did come shortly afterwards to help carry out the rest of the instruments. Then kuya Roy came and so we practised Shawnee's lineup. Then April came then kuya Jerryson and Erlinda came. Then before we knew it, the service has begun.

It was a blessing. The message was crystal clear and direct. Just what we needed and every bit of our worship service was encouraging. Our prayers are not in vain. Renewal and revival has begun. As long as we keep the flame burning, no one can stop us from moving forward.

Which is my reason for writing this blog. I'm inspired and I want to do more. I'm just starting and I know God has more plans for me and my ministry.

All in all, this is just one of those weeks for me. The only difference is, i get to write it.

Oh and to top it all off, everyone enjoyed my pasta bake. Someone even said it was professionally done. I was so proud, my ears were clapping. He he!

So, just so you know, in case you're badly in need of a good ole pasta, you know where to reach me. He he!

That's all folks! God bless ya ol!

---
The Father's Day video special:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.